The advancement of technology in the current economic environment has given birth to the rise in the number of cybercrime and hacking cases. With the increase in the number of attacks, there has been a parallel rise in the demand for cybersecurity professionals. Contradictory to the rising demand for cybersecurity professionals, there is a skill gap in the industry. To help the industry meet this demand, colleges and universities are offering cybersecurity scholarships to aspirantsto motivate students to join this field and close the skill gap.While online cybersecurity degrees are cheaper when compared to traditional college degrees, unfortunately, many still cannot afford it due to various financial problems.
Federal data shows that in 2015 and 2016, 3.9 million students had dropped out of college due to student loan debt. Further reports show that students who take up loans to pay their program fees are more likely to drop out before the completion of the program. 39 percent of the students who take out loans would consider dropping out of school before the completion of their program to avoid taking any more debt. Out of these, more than half of the students already owe more than $20,000. Another 15% owe between $10,000 and $19,999.
EC-Council University (ECCU) offers cybersecurity scholarships for students who qualify and wish to pursue a degree in cybersecurity. Here are 3 cybersecurity scholarships offered by ECCU.
1. The Cyber Security Dean’s Scholarship
This scholarship has been designed by ECCU to provide tuition assistance to new or current undergraduate and graduate degree students. The award will continue throughout the degree in a scholarship amount of 10% of tuition for selected applicants.
2. Cyber Security Hero’s Scholarship
The Cyber Security Hero’s scholarship has been designed by ECCU to provide tuition assistance to new or current students pursuing undergraduate or graduate degrees. Each applicant must make sure that they submit verification of military service (DD214) or letter of employment verification from police or fire department and evidence of being a spouse or child of such an employee if applicable. In the absence of the same, they may risk losing the scholarship. It is to be noted that the funding for the scholarship is limited, and it will be awarded on a merit order basis during each term until the funding resources are exhausted.
3. New Mexico Scholarship
The New Mexico Cyber Security Scholarship has been designed for the residents of New Mexico. Students who wish to apply for this scholarship must be a current resident of the State of New Mexico. They will have to provide documents providing proof of residency (provide documentation of having resided in New Mexico for the past 12 consecutive months).
Other important details
Eligibility criteria for Undergraduate (Bachelor of Science in Cyber Security) degrees:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have earned an Associate’s degree or foreign equivalent from an appropriately accredited institution or have completed at least 60 semester credit hours, and submitproof of a High School Diploma or foreign equivalent.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.0
- The applicant should have completed a college-level English and Math course with a grade of “C” or better.
- Must be sufficiently proficient in English. [not for New Mexico scholarship – see the Catalog for international degrees]
Eligibility criteria for Graduate (Master of Science in Cyber Security) degrees:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- The applicant should have earned a Bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent from an appropriately accredited institution.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.5.
- Must be sufficiently proficient in English (see the Catalog for international degrees).
The scholarships will be awarded to an applicant once their formal request letter addressing the following topics is submitted and reviewed –
- The reason for requesting the award
- Personal and professional goals
- A brief personal and professional history/biography
- Provide full contact information
- The letter must be free of mechanical errors, grammatically correct, and appropriately formatted as academic professionalism in writing is considered as part of a merit basis.
Did you know that over the last five years, close to 3 million students have enrolled in online universities?
Here is your chance to get an online degree in cybersecurity